[Localization] Garbled translation for "Services" in Portuguese in Qt 5.3

bootch at nc.rr.com bootch at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 00:06:20 CEST 2014

I also discussed this in a thread at Qt Forums http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/46391/

In the latest qt_pt.ts from gitorious, the translation for 'Services' in the Mac app menu displays garbled on Mac Os X.  Displays as two glyphs instead of the single glyph for U+00e7 Latin small letter c with cedilla.

If you view the source in a browser to gitorious https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qttranslations/source/b9a22c997c1a988ff8e6b52893e4673e9ac69a2b:translations/qt_pt.ts the translation appears as one glyph (good.)  But at the same page, if you click on 'raw blob', it displays the translated string as two glyphs (bad.)  Also, if you use Linguist to view the file, it appears as two glyphs (bad.)

I used od (octal dump) and hand decoded the file assuming it is UTF-8 encoded.  Indeed, there are four bytes representing the two wrong glyphs (U+00c3 and U+0083)

Can anyone explain this?

I would guess this is an error in translation (but one that is easy to overlook since some apps show the glyph correctly!) But I also would guess that something has changed in Qt and some translations need to be redone?

Is there a bug tracking system for mis-translations?