[Localization] Hello? I am willing to fix some translations. FR "About" in, MAC_APPLICATION_MENU, QPlatformTheme

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Wed Aug 27 14:54:13 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 12:28:37PM -0400, lloyd konneker wrote:
> I read the Qt wiki pages.  I think they would be clearer if they say as
> follows: [...]
why that much verbosity? these are all obvious consequences of how
translations work. are there any particular points which you think would
actually help with getting a translation done?

> Regarding this link for downloading the template files
> ftp://ftp.qt-project.org/qt/l10n/index.html.
>
> That seems to suggest that any splitting of translations from Qt4 to Qt5
> that a contributor might do should be done in the stable 5.3 (or 5.3.1?)
> branch.

yes, though at this point it may make more sense to start thinking about
5.4 instead, in particular if you are basically starting from scratch.

> I don't understand how such commits would flow, especially into
> distributions.  Would they be considered like a critical bug fix,
> immediately available to anyone who downloaded and built the 5.3 branch?

it depends on each distributor's policy whether they choose to follow
the branch without upstream releases.

> And how would they be merged in 5.4, which apparently has already split the
> translation files from Qt4 to Qt5, but has not marked the translations
> complete?  (Wouldn't there be a merge conflict?) Maybe I just need to study
> Qt's model of version control.

if a newer branch was already updated, updating an older branch is
usually a bad idea.
in the other direction, commits are merged on a regular basis, as in the
rest of qt.

> ???Qt [5].4 will ship only with split translation files, whether or not any
> community member bothers to update the translations (so most translations
> will remain incomplete) ???

no, and i don't see where you got the idea from.
in fact, the page seems broken - all templates should be pre-split.
i'll investigate this when i'm back from vacation in a week or two.