[Localization] [RFC] moving to transifex?

Freek de Kruijf freekdekruijf at kde.nl
Wed Sep 30 15:14:06 CEST 2015

Op woensdag 30 september 2015 14:29:12 schreef Oswald Buddenhagen:
> moin,
>
> the issue was raised multiple times, and now i'm considering doing it
> for real: hosting the authoritative qt translations on transifex (tx).
>
> that would imply that all translation and review activity would happen
> via tx, be it the web frontend or the command line client (which allows
> use of linguist the usual way). fresh templates would be automatically
> uploaded to tx continuously, and the translations would be imported to
> gerrit before releases en block (with accumulated crediting of the
> contributors in the commit message).
>
> we already have a presence on tx which some members of the community
> created, which gives tx an edge.
> however, the platform choice is not set in stone yet. i've asked the kde
> translator community what they would think of tx, and most responses
> were people pitching their favorite alternative platform. what's yours?
> ^^
> for reference: http://marc.info/?t=144303835500002&r=1&w=3
>
> the second issue i raised was doing away with the CLA for translations,
> but that's apparently not such a big deal for most of them, and
> obviously even less for the existing members of our community, so i'll
> postpone that for now.
>
> your thoughts?

I have been using several systems for translation, but my preference is still
with lokalize and a SVN repository. The main advantage is the Translation
Memory (TM) system which gives you hints, in case only part of a to be
translated piece of text is in TM. GIT would also be acceptable to me as a
repository system.

I consider it important that the history of contributions can be traced.

--
vr.gr.

Dutch translater of KDE
Freek de Kruijf