[PySide] custom table sorting

Sebastian Elsner sebastian at risefx.com
Fri Apr 6 12:03:21 CEST 2012

Hi,

assuming the checkboxes and the combo boxes are different data types
(bool, vs, string) and thus displayed in different columns, sorting
should happen automatically when you setSortingEnabled(True). Please
note that you have to disable sorting while inserting items because this
may lead to stringe behaviour. Also if you want to display checkboxes
these should be set by
QTableWidgetItem.setFlags(QTablewidgetItem.flags() |
Qt.ItemIsUSerCheckable)) and setCheckState()  rather than doing a
QTableWidget.setCellWidget(), because this is way faster. The combooxes
can be inserted with setCellWidget, but be aware that you may run into
performance issues if you add a lot of them.

Alternatively you could subclass the QTableWidgetItem and override the <
operator to provide your own sorting, which will be - of course -
solower because implemented in python.

Finally when dealing with large datasets I would recommend going for the
true model/view approach with QTableView, QTableModel and
QStyledItemDelegate, but those are more hard to use.

Cheers

Sebastian