[PySide] sliding widgets into position

Tibold Kandrai kandraitibold at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 08:53:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

Try to subclass QDockWidget. You will have to set it's geometry
manually. Also if you want the widgets to pop up above the centralWidget
than don't add the dock widgets to any layout. Simply add them with the
main window as their parent, and raise them when you show them.
Using this technique I managed to implement auto hiding widgets like in
Visual Studio. It's not trivial, but it's possible.
Actually if you don't need any of the QDockWIdget's functionality you
can do the same with a QFrame as well. Same logic, override it's
geometry, and don't add them to the grid layout. Adding the widgets to
the grid layout will always push the central widget.

Cheers,
Tibold