[PySide] PySide is Dead?

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Mon Dec 10 05:37:07 CET 2012

Lucas Tanure wrote:
> Well, I mean there is no more development.
> But, How I can help? I have a lot free time.

What's really needed is for more people to get up to speed on the PySide
internals to the point of being able to review patches and eventually
help with maintenance.   The project also needs a new lead maintainer
since Hugo would like to step down from that role.  However, of course,
that person would need to know PySide well enough to do that, and I
think many of us are still learning.  I've been trying to get up to
speed myself, but am pretty short on time so am still really just a
PySide user w/ fairly limited knowledge of the internals.

Right now there are a lot of bug reports in the bug tracker that have
not moved beyond Reported status.  Some have patches and others
(probably most) don't.  Those with patches could go into the code review
system. A good way to start may be to look at what's in the code review
system already for PySide (I think only 3 entries there are still open)
to try to assess whether there are problems with those, and/or to look
at fixing some of the bugs that don't have fixes yet, and/or move bugs
that have patches into the code review system.

The main PySide wiki page has links to the bug tracker, code review
system, the existing docs, and other info:
http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide

Another idea is try to write up some documentation on the PySide
internals. Some of the docs pages referenced from wiki pages such as
http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Generating_New_Bindings (and others)
are missing, I think in part a casualty of things getting lost in the
transition from Nokia to Digia.  I've found there are versions of these
in the Way Back Machine at http://archive.org/web/web.php but I don't
know how out of date those would be.  It would be nice to have some sort
of intact and up-to-date developer docs again, as seem to have once existed.

Those are just some ideas.  If you do have a lot of time and the
motivation to work on it, I think your work will be much appreciated and
will be very helpful to all PySide users.

- Stephan