[PySide] PySide is Dead?

Henry Gomersall heng at cantab.net
Mon Dec 10 18:24:18 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 11:38 -0500, Stephan Deibel wrote:
> Henry Gomersall wrote:
> > I was thinking about thistoday  (triggered by the original email!).
> >
> > How realistic is it to create an API-extractor definition ->  Cython
> > tool, combined with the (possibly more developed) pxd generation tool:
> > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/redbrain1123/28002
> >
> > (which seemingly is in an alpha state)
> >
> > Is there more to creating QT bindings than that? How much effort would
> > that be?
> >
> > It strikes me that Cython solves many of the difficult problems already,
> > and it supports C++ pretty well now.
>
> The above is a SoC project which means it's just been developed by a
> student and probably never used, so it would undoubtedly require some
> work.  Otherwise it may not be a bad approach.  I don't know if the
> custom code and hints from PySide could be used with that.  If not, it's
> really just a complete replacement of PySide, which is probably more
> work than is needed.

Yeah, it still needs some work. The approach is very interesting, and
fills a missing hole in Cython.

I suppose my point is that the entirety of Pyside should (in an ideal
world) be just a list of mappings from C++ types to Python types. The
heavy lifting should be left for a common tool. You're saying that is
where the bugs are? That's interesting and gives me much more of an
impetus to fix some (though on my one foray into such an attempt, I got
pretty lost pretty fast, and didn't manage to achieve anything useful -
it was far too muddy).

Cheers,

Henry