[PySide] BuildScripts for Python 3 (Was: from PySide import * in Python2/3)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 11:06:05 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Thomas Perl <th.perl at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/2/29 anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Thomas Perl <th.perl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This includes support for building PySide for Python 3. You have to
>>> edit the environment.sh file and uncomment one line. PySide for Python
>>> 3 will be installed in a different directory, so that you can easily
>>> switch between it and PySide for Python 2 - simply edit the
>>> environment.sh and then "source" it in your shell.
>>
>> Is it possible to provide Python 2 and Python 3 bindings
>> simultaneously? 2 and 3 peacefully coexist in Linux, so why isn't it
>> possible to use both? Editing environment.sh every time is bothersome.
>
> Right now, I think the approach used is okay - most users might still
> want to use Python 2 for various reasons. We can think about changing
> this later on. It will also require more testing, the current approach
> is more fail-safe (no conflicting environment variables).

I already experience a rise of pure Python 3 projects for Qt, and
expect even more at PyCon. New people to PySide and Qt will likely to
use Python 3 interface, so it will be nice to be ready.

What environment variables are conflicting?

We still have a chance to raise the question of specifying extension
path for both Python 2 and Python 3 at the same time before Python 3.3
Alpha is out this Sunday.

>> That's a bad default to require QtMobility installed. Ideally, build
>> scripts should detect its presence, but for a quick fix I'd move all
>> QtMobility stuff into separate README chapter and instead of requiring
>> everybody to type "./build_and_install apiextractor generatorrunner
>> shiboken pyside", provided an instructions just for those who needs
>> QtMobility to type "./build_and_install qtmobility"
>
> Indeed, that's probably a better default. Changed now.

Is it possible to detect features and build them automatically if
available? This way everybody will be happy.
--
anatoly t.