[PySide] Creating a new QMovie provider in PySide

Stefan Stefansson stefan at ru.is
Mon Jul 9 17:39:39 CEST 2012

Hello.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to create a new QMovie
"provider" in PySide?

I have a video stream that I want to display as simply as possible (no
audio, just a sequence of frames with an unknown and variable framerate).
This example (http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/pysid...movie/movie.py<http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/pyside-examples/blobs/master/examples/widgets/movie/movie.py>)
seems perfect except that my video is coming from an unconventional source.
It's not a file but a network stream in a format that is not standardized.
I can easily write code that receives each frame and my idea is to create a
"QMovie provider" so that I can just display this stream on a label like in
the example above.

My first thought was to just subclass QMovie and overwrite a few functions
there but I started having second thoughts about that when reading the
documentation (http://www.pyside.org/docs/pyside/Py...e.QtGui.QMovie<http://www.pyside.org/docs/pyside/PySide/QtGui/QMovie.html#PySide.QtGui.QMovie>)
since I don't know what I should do about the "device" my instance would be
reading from.

I noticed in the aforementioned documentation that QMovie uses QImageReader
so my next thought was to extend that class and have it read frames from my
stream. That poses similar questions however, for example, what should I do
with the "supportedImageFormats()" function?

So basically I'm a little stumped and would really appreciate any pointers
or tutorials on how to get a QLabel to display my video stream in a PySide
application.

Kind regards,
Stefan Freyr.