[PySide] Automated Testing

Coran Hoskin coranh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:05:29 CEST 2012

Thanks for the responses and info Aaron and Niki. Here's the info thus far,
incase it's of use to anyone else.

After installing the python ST-API package (apologises for my misspelling
it before) I noticed console output related to the API upon running my
PySide application (not sure how to turn this off??). The package I used
was called python-stapi2, on Ubuntu 12.04. I can now interact with my
PySide application (find the window, open a menu). However clicking a
widget does not appear to work. I found a bug report relating to a case
insensitive search for the action associated with 'press/click/activate'
failing for Qt as it is listed in Qt as 'Press' (capital P). However the
code I'm using seems to have the patch associated with the fix, unless the
patch didn't fix this problem. I'll debug the LDTP python code to see if I
can see what's going on and will post any findings.

@ Aaron. I had a look at QTest but I couldn't see an obvious way of running
the event loop of PySide/Qt, whilst retaining access to the instances of
the widgets to pass into the QTest functions. Not without some
inter-process communication/data-sharing, which sounds a bit too involved.
Unless I were able to trigger the tests via the PySide event loop, such as
with some external input (eg keyboard/widget click). I couldn't find the
project you mentioned for the test examples (NKPD) on gitorious, does it go
by any other name?

@ Niki. Thanks for the Sikuli recommendation! Looks like a very impressive
piece of software, i'm surprised I haven't come across it before in my
searches. I saw one site listing the development as 'active', however the
last release candidate (1.0rc3) was released 10 months ago, so I wonder if
it is still actively developed? My concern with any open source testing
software is whether it will stay up to date with changes in GUI toolkits or
the OS, so that I don't commit time/effort which may ultimately need to be
reworked. There's some activity on bug/support forums, which is promising.
I hope it is still supported as it looks like a real contender for a
generic GUI testing solution. Really like the fuzzy image matching.

Thanks again for responses. Will post any useful bits of info I find in my
quest. I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to automate PySide GUI tests
:].

--
Coran