[PySide] Bug with new hash table feature

Nathan Smith nathanjsmith at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:13:47 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM, John Ehresman <jpe at wingware.com> wrote:

> In Python 2, leaving the tp_hash slot set to NULL will result in the
> PyObject* address being used for hash and equality if the compare slots are
> also NULL which is what I think we want.  This may be different in Python
> 3.

That's what's happening in the hash function I sent, but there's a little
assertion logic before the return.  On further reflection, the
reinterpret_cast<SbkObject*>(pyObj) was unnecessary since we're just
returning the address, so I've removed that in this patch.

Looking at shiboken/cppgenerator.cpp, tp_compare is always set to 0 and
tp_richcompare is set to the wrapped class' overloaded operator== if it
exists, or 0 if it doesn't, so I *think* that's ok.

The unit test I have uses shiboken.invalidate because shiboken.delete
surprisingly leads to segfault when deleting a HandleHolder object (works
fine with a QObject), but that's a different bug.  I also found a segfault
bug when calling shiboken.dump on deleted objects for which I plan to
submit a bug and patch.

> The class in the bug report is QListWidgetItem, which isn't derived from
> QObject so there's no destroyed signal emitted when it's deleted.

I'm not following.  What's the relevance of the destroyed signal to the
hash function?

>     >>> hash(QtCore.QObject()) == hash(QtCore.QObject())
>>    True
>>

> That's fine -- equivalent hash values just mean that the 2 might be equal,
> but you can't compare the two with == since they don't exist at the same
> time.

I agree, I just thought it was interesting and should probably be
documented somewhere because it might surprise somebody.

Nathan