[PySide] --enable-unicode=ucs4 on Mac fails to import shiboken

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Mar 15 23:19:48 CET 2012

For consistency with our Linux distro's, I've built Python 2.7 in
MacPorts using the --enable-unicode=ucs4 flag, but with this flag, the
import fails with:

 >>> from PySide import QtGui
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError:
dlopen(/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PySide/QtGui.so,
2): Symbol not found: _PyUnicodeUCS2
   Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libshiboken-python2.7.1.1.dylib
   Expected in: flat namespace
  in /opt/local/lib/libshiboken-python2.7.1.1.dylib

Any idea why this would be the case?  There's no code in PySide that
explicitly lists PyUnicodeUCS2.

Doing a fresh build of everything without --enable-unicode=ucs4 works fine.

Could it be related to this difference when compiling Python:

Without --enable-unicode=ucs4:

-checking what type to use for unicode... unsigned short

With --enable-unicode=ucs4:

+checking what type to use for unicode... no type found

Thanks,
Blair