[PySide] BuildScripts and archived repositories on GitHub

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:54:33 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Matti Airas <matti.p.airas at nokia.com> wrote:
> On 21.03.2012 11:38, ext Thomas Perl wrote:
>> Yes, I'd also like to have the old repositories available somehow. I
>> have a checkout from some weeks ago, so if nothing else comes up, I
>> could upload that somewhere (maybe something like
>> github.com/pyside-old-repositories-2012-03/[...] to make it clear that
>> these are the repositories that are considered "old" as of 2012-03).
>>
>> It would be great if someone from the PySide Core Team could upload
>> these repos, though, because I'm not sure I have the latest revisions
>> from all the old repositories (or just tell me the revision numbers
>> and I'll check if I have the latest).
>
> I don't really see any reason to delete the apiextractor and
> generatorrunner repositories from Gerrit. In my opinion, they can well
> reside there, and together with the Gitorious mirrors provide all the
> archiving functionality you need.

With
http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/apiextractor-archive
http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/generatorrunner-archive
the Gerrit mirrors don't make any sense. No commits will be submitted
for those, but it will confuse people who will inevitably ask about
their role.

To make it even more transparent for new people, I would alter the
description for
http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/apiextractor-archive
http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/generatorrunner-archive

to include the sentence:
"This project was merged into Shiboken around the time PySide migrated
to Qt Project."

> It's not really constructive to keep
> muddling the project layout with unofficial GitHub repos because new
> commits have to land in Gerrit to fulfill the contribution agreement
> requirements. Hence, I'd also prefer if the build scripts would point to
> the official repos - but that's of course up to you.

It is more to Thomas, but IIRC the GitHub proved to have a much better
uptime history, so until Gerrit is open to public, I'd rather not
point everything to Gitorious, because it is painful for people who
study source from browser. GitHub descriptions could be modified to
point to patch submission guide so that people avoid submitting pull
requests for the mirrors.
--
anatoly t.