[PySide] Starting with shiboken

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 09:29:07 CEST 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Hugo Parente Lima
<hugo.lima at openbossa.org> wrote:
> On Monday 26 March 2012 15:18:43 Francisco García wrote:
>> Hello, I am trying to collect as many examples as possible binding C++
>> libraries with Python (cython, ctypes, bost, switg...)
>
> A good read about bindings:
>
> http://setantas.net/pages/bindingcpp.html
>
>> First I am trying to do a type of "hello world" for binding. Something like
>> binding this C++ library
>>
>>     int add_these_numbers(int a, int b);
>>
>> however doing that with Shiboken and following the tutorial is not as piece
>> of cake as the others. There are so many steps and files, that it can be
>> overwhelming when compared with the others. I am even trying to avoid
>> CMake, just to get a clear picture of what is going on. I have the feeling
>> that Shiboken is not really hard. Just a lack of more blogs talking about
>> it and more documentation. Also I could I could not find the sources of
>> the tutorial. At least it is not in the shiboken repo.
>
> Shiboken isn't too easy to start and the lack of documentation just makes the
> bootstraping harder, so any initiative to create documentation and/or
> tutorials are welcome.

I was interested to try Shiboken to recreate AVbin - simple Python
binding for FFmpeg - http://avbin.github.com/AVbin/Home/Home.html So
I've started a tutorial a while ago, but run out of free time to
complete it. Feel free to fork and update. It should be a good
starting point. And the Mercurial history illustrates the steps I took
with problems encountered.

https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/shiboken-avbin/overview

Seems like typesystem.xml syntax and rules was the major showstopper
at that time.
--
anatoly t.