[PySide] image format for best performance

Sebastian Elsner sebastian at risefx.com
Sun May 27 12:24:45 CEST 2012

I did not notice a speed difference in formats, but since you are bound
to use QPixmaps or QIcons (dont use Qimage/qpicture, its for
manipulation of image data), which you pass your icon path to, and thus
instanciate and read the actual data, I am always using a simple cache
algorithm which would remember the whole pixmap after loading the data.
You can do this in a separate dict with itemname:QPixmap once per
item/icon or if you are using come kind of itemmodel in the item used.
So at least in most cases you dont have to load your icon data twice.
For exmaple in a TreeView or TableView this greatly improves scrolling
speed.