[PySide] setup.py patch for OS X

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Nov 20 02:10:57 CET 2012

Hi again,

Install-hell hits me again. :-(

I uninstalled my homebrew version and tried to make sure that
the new version from Matthew Bratt works for me. But it doesn't.

I used his version of setup.py after removal and installing
of Qt 4.8.3 into /Library/Frameworks and /Developer/Qt/Applications
as the default is.

No changes to any path related stuff in ~/.profile .

When trying the build (on OS X 10.8.2), I get the following error:

> Linking CXX executable shiboken
> ld: framework not found QtCore
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
> invocation)
> make[2]: *** [generator/shiboken] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [generator/CMakeFiles/shiboken.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> error: Error compiling shiboken
> (pydica)minimax:PySide-1.1.2 tismer$

This is actually the very same problem that hit me since days and made
me try Homebrew,
which admittedly has its other shortcomings.
/Library/Frameworks is on the path, and QtCore can be seen from there.

Can somebody enlighten me what's wrong here?
The patched setup.py should work on a standard installation, before I try to
improve it and make it more flexible.
Is that due to the fact that Matt uses OS X 10.6, as I think to recall?

Or is ist an issue to use the shiboken module from Homebrew, as I did here?
In any case, this should really not matter if things are in shape.

cheers - Chris