[PySide] PySide Newbie Tutorials

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Wed Apr 3 01:52:16 CEST 2013

Hi Long,

Is it OK for me to call you Long? I find lndn confusing. I think that
rather than using lower case LNDN, i used lower case INDN.  Sorry about
that!  My given LIthuanian name is much longer, but true to the Australian
tradition, I have trimmed it down to Al.  Confusing, as Al is a common
abbreviation for lots of other names, but "life was not meant to be easy".

I thought I gave the link to the PyQt4 tutorial that I am in process to
bring it to PySide:

http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/simple

It does not cover many modules - it uses QtextEdit or QplainTextEdit,
QMainWindow, QApplication, QFileDialog, QKeySequence, QAction, QIcon,
QMessageBox, a few QpuxhButtons.  None are "covered" - they are merely
used.

I think what we really lack is a good tutorial on how to use with PySide
Qt 4 Assistant, Qt 4 Designer.  Perhaps for Qt4 Assistant a brief mention
of the vast topic of c++ would be helpful as a facilitator to read Qt 4
Assistant information.

A deeper discussion of QFileDialog would be welcome, as practically all
GUI programs need it.

Any recommendations for a good text editor to edit Python and Pyside
programs?  Anybody porting a good editor to PySide  in view of Python-IDLE
not being real friendly with PySide?

Al.