[PySide] PySide Newbie Tutorials

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Wed Apr 3 09:47:11 CEST 2013

Srini,

Good idea! How about posting a detailed way of getting your chosen
example?

Al.

On Tuesday 02 April 2013 16:11:58 Srini Kommoori wrote:

Once you get some level of python understanding, I would start with pyside
examples. http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/pyside-examples

- Srini

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Tim Doty <thoromyr at mac.com> wrote:

To a point I agree about focusing on PySide, but it doesn't hurt to cover
(at least cursorily) some elementary Python as well. Mark Summerfield's
excellent book "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt"
(http://www.qtrac.eu/pyqtbook.html) doesn't dwell on basics, but it does
cover things.

In fact, one of the best things IMO would be if he adapted that book to
PySide. Regrettably, I doubt he has the time to do so
(http://www.qtrac.eu/pyqtbook.html#pyside).

I'm coming from PyQt so I'm not a *complete* newbie, but there is a real
advantage to having the content in one place rather than being directed to
other tutorials (not to mention the problem with links going stale).

Tim Doty

On Apr 2, 2013, at 5:34 PM, Aaron Richiger <a.richi at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> Hello Al and Marc!
>
> Many thanks for your offer, good tutorials are always essential for a
popular project. I just wanted to have a look at your tuts, but the top
five results of a google search after
> "pyside simplicissimus tutorial"
> directed me to dead links. So, this would be a good starting point:)
>
> We also do not have to reinvent the wheel, there are many examples
coming with pyside already, have a look at them, you could probably use
some of them, but enrich them with comments and explanations in your HTML.

> Marcs offer sounds great! It's always great to have "customers" helping
designing the "products", because we sometimes can't imagine what's needed
or missing for beginners. Having some newbies to test the tutorials would
be great I think!

> Just one note, I think, your tutorials should not cover general python
stuff but just PySide related stuff. There are plenty of good python tuts
out there, we only need more PySide tuts. I know, that many of the PySide
newbies are also python newbies (as Marc), but you could place some links
to good python tuts at the beginning or start page of the tutorial and if
you use some non-obvious python magic give another link to the specific
explanation of this python feature (e.g. when you first use list
comprehension). Our tutorials should focus on the important (=PySide)
stuff!

> Happy coding!
> Aaron
>
> Am 02.04.2013 23:41, schrieb Marc Hankin:
>> Hi.  I'm a python newbie and a pyside newbie.
>> I've gone through the zetcode tutorial and the simplicitimus (or
whatever it is called), and I still feel crippled in using pyside.
>> I used to teach law at a law school and I like to think about
pedagogical issues.
>> So, if you folks want to try out some of your tutorials on me and get
my questionable feedback about how to improve your tutorials, I'd be very
pleased with the opportunity to give you feedback ... and I confess, I
also would like to learn from you.

>> It's really wonderful to follow your emails.  The open source
python/pyside community is so giving/altruistic that it is fun to follow
your emails.  I wish I could occupy myself with this stuff full time and
never see the nasty interior of a courtroom again.

>> Anyway, thanks again,
>>
>>                                                                  Marc
>>

>>  ********************************************************************
>> Marc B. Hankin
>> The Law Offices of Marc B. Hankin, Inc.
>> Post Office Box 3668, Beverly Hills, California  90212 (Not for
mail:509S.BeverlyDr.)
>> Tel: (310) 552-3005     Fax: (310) 382-2416
>> Email: marc at marchankin.com    Website:  www.marchankin.com
>>      This e-mail message is generated from the law firm of the Law Offices
of Marc B. Hankin, Inc., and may contain information that is confidential
and may be privileged as an attorney/client communication or as attorney
work product.  The information is intended to be disclosed solely to the
addressee(s).
>>      If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail information is
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete it from your computer system.

>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM, lndn <lndndev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au>
wrote:
>> I am in the process of porting the tutorial to PySide and Python 3.x.
If there are no objections, I would like to post it in the PySide newbie
tutorial section in a similar style to PySideSimplicissimus:

>> From wiki/PySideTutorials link to new page PySideSimple
>> from PySideSimple links to probably 4 separate stage pages with return
to PySideSimple, which in turn returns to PySideTutorials.

>> Al (aka OldAl)
>>
>> Hi Al, the newbie tutorials are a great idea.  The PySideSimplicissimus
series were well-written and easy to follow.

>> What modules do you plan on covering in these new tutorials?  The
tutorials we currently have are great but it's not comprehensive in
covering more Qt modules.  Here's hoping to see more modules covered in
newer tutorials.