[PySide] Building a debug PySide+python+valgrind [Newbie dev Tutorial ? :-)]

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Sat Apr 13 21:14:58 CEST 2013

On 4/13/13 8:03 AM, Stefan Champailler wrote:
> Dear ml,
>
> A while ago I posted my notes about compiling PySide in debug mode +
> python + valgrind (see below).
>
> I've got some questions :
>
> 1. Do these notes seem right to you ? I ask because I'm not very
> knowledgeable about cmake and I may be doing things that are just not
> necessary (such as setting all those env. variables, or maybe not using
> the PySide build scripts to their full power)

Some changes / comments:
 * the apiextractor and generatorrunner directories are no longer needed
(the code is now in shiboken).
 * I think the environment variables other than PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
are only used withing the script itself; in other words, the child cmake
and other processes do not look them up in the environment
 * it's worth noting that this is Linux specific; OS X needs
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH rather than LD_LIBRARY_PATH and win32 only needs PATH.

> 3. Once I had built pyside debug, python debug  and valgrind, I started
> to use them. However it didn't help me much to track some memory leaks.
> So i was wondering if that's a productive way of looking at bugs. Maybe
> there are more powerful tools to track issues ? I was dreaming of a way
> to print the list of PySide managed objects...

Are you looking for shiboken.getAllValidWrappers() ?  As far as if
valgrind is a productive way to look at bugs, I think it depends on the
bug.  I do think debug enabled builds of pyside, python, and qt help a
lot when tracking down problems in C++ level code.

Thanks,

John