[PySide] PySide - Qt5 - Swig

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 13:27:53 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Fabien Castan <fabcastan at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I personally like the idea of using SWIG to build Qt bindings. SWIG is
>> the only tool I have ever used to interface C++ and Python, and it seemed
>> fine. All of the alternatives to SWIG seemed worse.
>> For those who don't know, PyQt uses SIP. SIP is similar to SWIG in many
>> ways.
>
> Compared to PyQt, our binding creates bigger binaries, but it may be
> better with hand written rules... And we could discuss with SWIG guys on
> that point.

"may be better" is a bad argument. Historically PySide used Boost, it
generated a lot of garbage too, and that's why Shiboken was born (correct
me if I wrong). The only problem with Shiboken maintainability is that it
is written in C++ and most PySide users with primarily Python background.
SWIG doesn't tackle this core flaw at all and may become an additional
hurdle that will bury the project even more.

The good solution (tm) is not to rewrite Shiboken from scratch, but find a
way to gradually move the logic out of it into Python.

SWIG is GPL too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWIG
--
anatoly t.