[PySide] PySide - Qt5 - Swig

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 21:12:08 CET 2013

> I don't see the point. Using the rst format and tools like sphinx is a
> great thing.
> It doesn't depend on the binding tool and you don't need to write your
> application in python to use it.
> readthedocs.org <https://readthedocs.org/> is a great solution to
> maintain it automatically.
>
>     Another reason. You said you're able to generate Swig rules from
>     the .xml files of Shiboken. Can you do the reverse?
>
> Sure an xml is easier to parse from a script than Swig rules. But on
> the other hand, it's far more human readable than xml!
> From my point of view, xml is really not a good argument...
> Writing such code is not very pleasant:
> <rejection class="*"
> function-name="qobject_interface_iid<QTextCodecFactoryInterface*>"/>
>

> Having 4058 lines of xml in one file for all QtCore... is not
> very comfortable too.
> I have some difficulties to see this, as the best solution for an
> ideal future. Even if the tool that parse it is written in python.
>
> Sure it's easier to parse an HTML file than an RST file... but people
> prefer to deal with RST to write their documentation.

Well, that sounds nice. :) I haven't hand-edited the type definitions
myself yet, but would probably prefer something else than XML if I had to.

>     Why not to bring expertise to Boost then?
>
> Because in Boost Python, the principle is wrong. Using templates to
> creates a binding to a script language is a strange idea...
> I don't see many project using Boost Python. I don't see any project
> using Shiboken.
> But I see a lot of projects using Swig. It should be a reason, no?
BTW, how good is the support for building for ARM & cross compilation ?
PySide & Shiboken are used quite a lot on mobile platforms:
-> PySide @ Maemo 5 Fremantle
-> PySide @ MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan (available from official repositories &
there are quite a lot PySide apps in the Ovi store, including mine)
-> PySide @ Android:
http://thp.io/2011/pyside-android/
-> PySide @ BB Playbook:
http://hg.microcode.ca/blackberry-py/wiki/Building%20PySide
http://peterhansen.ca/blog/pyside-on-the-playbook.html
So any replacement should have at least the same level support for
building for mobile platforms, or better.

Martin Kolman