[PySide] PySide - Qt5 - Swig

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Mon Jan 14 19:16:38 CET 2013

On 1/14/13 12:18 PM, Fabien Castan wrote:
>     I'm not enthusiastic about a rewrite using swig; it seems to be a lot of
>     work for questionable benefits.
>
> The main benefit could be to get a bigger community and concentrate
> efforts on the binding rules, instead of working on a binding tool.

I don't think the binding tool as needing a lot of effort.  We do need
more people fixing bugs and improving the binding rules, but that is the
case with either tool.  If we were starting from scratch, I'd think swig
would be something to look at, but we aren't starting from scratch.

>     I think much of the work with PySide is
>     writing a Python binding given the specifics of how Qt works so it's
>     less about using a semi-generic tool such as swiq or shiboken and more
>     about how Qt object lifetime works.
>
> Yes, but users also need to bind their own widgets... And your widgets
> use your core objects... so you need to use the same binding
> tool everywhere.
> A generic binding tool could help for that.

You are correct that users need to either use one binding tool for all
qt related interfaces or do extra work to use something else.  This
would be true with swig or shiboken or anything else.

Cheers,

John