[PySide] inter-object communications

Henry Gomersall heng at cantab.net
Fri Nov 8 16:28:05 CET 2013

This is a conceptual question, which I'm sure someone more well versed
with Qt can answer.

Is *all* inter-object communication within Qt handled through the
signal-slot mechanism?

Is this what allows PySide to extend classes from within Python and
still have them function correctly within the broader framework (as the
python methods simply need to handle signals properly)? (is this even
generally true?).

I've been playing around with cwrap (a not-yet-complete tool to generate
cython definition files) and libclang in the context of seeing how much
cython+libclang+some templating could generate the vast bulk of wrapping
a library (in this case Qt, which seemed like a good end target!).
Clearly, there are issues if one wants the python objects to be passed
around as though they are first class citizens in the class heirarchy
(though I'm sure hacks can be used). It was from this that I posited
that Qt sidesteps this by objects never actually calling methods on one
another, but instead delegating everything to the signal/slot framework.
Is this a fair assessment?

Cheers,

Henry