[PySide] Deploying a PySide app on OS X

Jonathan Steele jsteele at cert.org
Mon Oct 28 16:07:24 CET 2013

I have a PySide application that I'm struggling to build into an
application (.app) that other OS X users can run, and hoped that someone
here might have some tips to get me going.  I'm running OS X 10.6, python
2.7, and PySide 4.8.4.  I have very little experience with this side of
things, but here is what I've tried so far:

1.  Using py2app.  I generated a basic setup.py and tried to use it to
build the app.  The dependencies seem to copy fine, but then I get this

/usr/bin/strip: the __LINKEDIT segment does not cover the end of the file
(can't be processed) in:

Some googling left me with the impression that there's an architecture
mismatch between the way the QtCore library is built and what py2app is
trying to build, but I'm not clear on how to proceed to resolve this.

2.  Ryan Kelly's myppy.  This seemed like a promising idea, but after
installing myppy, I got an error trying to init a workspace:

/usr/bin/gcc -Os -arch ppc -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -isysroot
ork/Versions/2.7/include -I. -c -o example.o test/example.c
In file included from ./zconf.h:427,
                 from ./zlib.h:34,
                 from test/example.c:8:
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/stdarg.h:4:25: error:
stdarg.h: No such file or directory
In file included from test/example.c:8:
./zlib.h:1758: error: expected declaration specifiers or Œ...¹ before
make: *** [example.o] Error 1

3.  Using cx_Freeze.  I initially had a problem getting the dependencies
copied correctly because cx_Freeze runs "otool -L" to find them and
expects an absolute path, but the pyside libraries returned only the
library name with no path.  I fixed that using install_name_tool -change
to specify the full path, and then seemed to successfully generate the
.app.  It runs correctly on my machine.  However, when I gave it to a
colleague to try, he got this error:

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810

The error code of -10810 translates to "An unknown error has occurred",
which doesn't exactly help point me towards a resolution!

Recommendations on how to proceed would be gratefully received.  Thanks!


More information about the PySide mailing list