[PySide] Install via pip fails on OS X Mavericks

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Apr 13 22:45:35 CEST 2014

Hi Erica,

yesterday, I have built PySide 1.2.1 wheels and eggs for
python 3.3, 3.4, 2.7 on OS X 10.8 and 10.9.

You can use my downloads from here:

https://bitbucket.org/pydica/pyside-setup/downloads

Installation is not as nice as with pip, but it is fast and works well:

Example after downloading and running from a virtual env:

$ pip install wheel
$ wheel install
~/src/pyside-setup/dist/PySide-1.2.1-cp34-cp34m-macosx_10_9_x86_64.whl
$ python py3/bin/pyside_postinstall.py -install

Let me know how it works for you.

ciao - Chris

On 03.03.14 23:23, Erica Cane wrote:
> Thanks Sean. I am indeed interested in compiling from source in a
> virtualenv. That said, the ideal solution would be for the PyPi
> package to be updated with the fix for Mavericks. :)
>
> Thanks again!
> Erica
>

> On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Sean Fisk <sean at seanfisk.com
> <mailto:sean at seanfisk.com>> wrote:
>
>     When compiling from source, you can install into a virtualenv.
>     When using Homebrew, it’s not possible to install into a virtualenv.
>
>     I don’t use Homebrew’s Python, and don’t install any other Python
>     packages other than PySide. Then, inside of the virtualenv, I use
>     a PTH file <http://docs.python.org/2/library/site.html> to point
>     to Homebrew’s |site-packages/| directory. Unfortunately, this also
>     includes any other Python packages installed by Homebrew if you
>     decide to install them. It’s not the best option, but it works
>     well. I can send you my PTH-file-writing-script if you are interested.
>
>     If you are interested in compiling from source into a virtualenv,
>     my team is working on improving the PySide BuildScripts
>     <https://github.com/PySide/BuildScripts> repo and I can send you
>     what we have as well.
>
>     If you are interested in either of these, expect a reply from me
>     tomorrow as it is pretty late in my neck of the woods.
>
>     Cheers,
>

>     --
>     Sean Fisk
>

>     On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 1:29 AM, Erica Cane <ericacane at splitu.com
>     <mailto:ericacane at splitu.com>> wrote:
>
>         Thanks for the responses Ryan and Sean.
>
>         Is it possible to use homebrew or source to install into a
>         virtualenv?
>

>         On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Sean Fisk <sean at seanfisk.com
>         <mailto:sean at seanfisk.com>> wrote:
>
>             Hi Erica,
>
>             This won’t fix the PyPi issue, but I usually install on
>             Mac OS X using Homebrew <http://brew.sh/>. Though that has
>             had some recent issues as well.
>
>             Cheers,
>

>             --
>             Sean Fisk
>

>             On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Erica B.
>             <ericacane at splitu.com <mailto:ericacane at splitu.com>> wrote:
>
>                 Hi all,
>
>                 I'm attempting to install pyside via pip on my Macbook
>                 Pro running OS X 10.9.2 (Mavericks) and am running
>                 into some issues. The install fails with the following
>                 error:
>
>                     /build/PySide/sources/shiboken/ext/sparsehash/google/dense_hash_map:97:10:
>                     fatal error: 'tr1/functional' file not found
>                     #include HASH_FUN_H                  // defined in
>                     config.h
>                              ^
>                     /build/PySide/sources/shiboken/ext/sparsehash/google/sparsehash/sparseconfig.h:18:24:
>                     note: expanded from macro 'HASH_FUN_H'
>                         #define HASH_FUN_H <tr1/functional>
>                                            ^
>                     1 error generated.
>                     make[2]: ***
> [...]

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023