[PySide] Let's get serious for Pyside to support Qt5

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Wed Dec 10 17:56:17 CET 2014

On 12/10/14, 11:38 AM, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> * Stany MARCEL <stanypub at gmail.com> [2014-12-10 17:31:44 +0100]:
>> Hello
>>
>> Maybe a crowd funding to hire a full time developer should be a good idea.
>> VLC association have done a kickstarter to fund the dev of VLC windows 8
>> support.
>
> I'd be in!
>
>> Is pyside currently only community driven or is there any association or
>> company behind, that could organize that.
>
> According to the Wikipedia page it was released by Nokia, so probably
> Digia / The Qt Company would be the one to contact nowadays.

PySide is in the Qt repository but its development is substantially
community driven at this point.  I am the somewhat reluctant maintainer
that hasn't been able to find much time to work on PySide recently.

I don't think the VLC kickstarter is a good model for funding PySide
development because VLC is a consumer application with many times the
number of users as direct users of PySide (the developers using PySide,
not the users of applications built with it).

John