[PySide] Let's get serious for Pyside to support Qt5

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Thu Dec 11 17:13:16 CET 2014

On 12/11/14, 10:49 AM, Todd Rme wrote:
> Taking a bit of a step back, what is currently holding Qt 5.x back
> from allowing completely dynamic bindings?  Has anyone talked to the
> Qt devs to see if these pieces could be implemented?

Qt 5.x support is mostly a matter of making changes to compile against
Qt5, do the split of the QtGui, go through deprecated and new classes &
methods, etc.  It's a substantial amount of work but should be
relatively straightforward.  I don't know what, if anything, could be
changed in Qt to make things easier given the need to maintain backward
compatibility in Qt.

Related but orthogonal is fixing a number of serious bugs that stem from
assumptions that shiboken makes about object lifetime.  This is what
motivates the desire to either fix shiboken or move to another binding tool.

I think what PySide needs is a small group of developers to work on it.