[PySide] Let's get serious for Pyside to support Qt5

peter_karasev at keysight.com peter_karasev at keysight.com
Sun Dec 28 21:24:24 CET 2014

My company encourages us to produce modular, robust solutions, which is epitomized by developers contributing to something like PySide. So, I and at least another developer + an intern could contribute some solid effort to this.
      We have a ton of deployed stuff using PySide + QT 4.8.x so something has to be done. The main choices are: fix pyside/shiboken, switch to PyQT, **write our own boost-python wrappers for parts of QT that we need**, switch to js/webgl.
   (** denotes the current most likely route)

    Can the whole shiboken-instead-of-boost-python thing be revisited?  It is a huge PITA to interface through shiboken when you have a C++ application using QT and you provide some boost-python wrappers or have legacy C-python wrappers for domain-specific code. The way shiboken+pyside are structured now, you are in for a world of pain when embedding python in a native QT application as opposed to driving the app from python scripts.

 If PySide could just use boost more intelligently to keep builds manageable in size/time, it would:
     (a) alleviate the issues with native app using embedded python
          with pyside plus some other wrapper for non-qt code,
     (b) allow more people to contribute since boost has a pretty large developer base.
     (c) make it easier to generate wrappers for custom classes that inherit from QT classes.

       regards,
                   peter karasev