[PySide] Shiboken Large Address Bug

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Fri Feb 7 17:57:27 CET 2014

On 2/7/14, 9:07 AM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> On 2014-02-06 21:59, Luc-Eric Rousseau wrote:
>> we have used unsigned long long in our build (Autodesk Maya), as stated here:
>> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/PYSIDE-191
>>
>> you could make that signature ifdef'ed to only occur on windows x64 if
>> you're worried about binary compatibility.
>
> Actually, that (or better, having a conditional tree to select an
> appropriate type whose size == sizeof(void*)) isn't a bad idea.
>
> So all platforms *except* Windows x64 will continue to use 'long' and be
> unchanged.
>
> If anyone has patches, do please share them...

I think this is a bug on Windows x64 and can be fixed without preserving
the old behavior.  It could be done through an ifdef, conditional tree,
or using unsigned long long with an additional range check on 32 bit
systems.  Arguably this could also accept PyCObject or PyCapsule instances.

The best way to move a fix like this forward is to submit a change into
the Gerrit code integration system for pyside.

John