[PySide] libpyside-python2.6.so.1.2 ImportError

Tony Barbieri greatrgb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 15:38:43 CET 2014

Hi Roman,

I didn't want to use the temp directory but I also didn't want to use the
typical install method either.  I was hoping to have a fully portable
PySide build after building with --standalone so I could manually move it
to our shared network installation directory all of our Linux machines have
access too.  Setting RPATH=$ORIGIN seems to allow for this but if I run the
install method it would have set RPATH to the absolute installation path,
correct?

It seems running patchelf manually and setting RPATH=$ORIGIN allows me to
manually deploy PySide anywhere I choose, I wrongly assumed that running
--standalone wouldn't require running the install and allow me to freely
decide where to put the PySide build.

Anyhow, everything appears to be working fine.  Thanks for your time!

-tony

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:47 AM, Roman Lacko <backup.rlacko at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm guessing this happened because I did not run setup.py install which I
>> assume would run patchelf and update the RPATH?  If so, could running
>> patchelf be part of the build process for the libs that are in the
>> pyside_package folder?  It would seem they only need RPATH=$ORIGIN since
>> the pyside_package folder is a flat list of all of the libraries PySide
>> uses.
>>

> Hi Tony,
>
> The patchelf should be called only at install time. The pyside_package is
> temporary build folder and running patchelf at build time will change the
> pyside libraries so the RPATH will point to temporary build folder which
> will be deleted. Can you explain why you need import PySide from temporary
> build folder ?
>
> Thanks
> Roman
>
> [1] https://github.com/PySide/pyside-setup
>

>> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Tony Barbieri <greatrgb at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I apologize for sending that last email out without a subject.  I
>>> included a subject in this so it could be searched later if needed.
>>>

>>> I've build PySide 1.2.1 on CentOS 6.2 with Qt 4.7.4 and python 2.6 using:
>>>
>>> python setup.py build --qmake=~/qt/4.7.4/bin/qmake --standalone
>>>
>>> Everything built fine but when I run:
>>>
>>> from PySide import QtCore, QtGui I get the following error:
>>>
>>> ImportError: libpyside-python2.6.so.1.2: cannot open shared object file:
>>> No such file or directory
>>>
>>> Any clue as to what would cause this?
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated,
>>>
>>> --