[PySide] PySide Pitfalls

Nathan Warmerdam nathan.warmerdam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 01:22:27 CEST 2014

Hello all,

First let me say that using PySide has been a real dream come true.  Its
easy, intuitive and fast.  Combined with the Designer tools it really makes
for an incredibly powerful (i would even venture fun) workflow for pumping
out nice GUIs.

I've created an application that where a QDialog opens up, allows the user
to do a few things, and in some cases launches another QDialog that
contains a bit more functionality.  I used Designer to make the UI's and
follow the appropriate steps to integrated them with my code (setupUI).  It
talks to a sqlite database behind the scenes and lets the user make a few
changes.  Nothing very complicated at all.  Simple even.

Everything was going so incredibly well until I had my first hard crash (of
the "python stopped working" variety).  With my limited means I've tried
all that I know short of installing Visual Studio and debugging python to
figure out what is going on.  The event log suggests that the faulting
module causing the issue is "PySide\pyside-python2.7.dll"

The gist of my question is:  Are there known gotchas that cause crashes?  I
cannot post my code however are there well known gotchas associated with
QPushButton, QComboBox, QListWidget or even launching another Dialog which
I could investigate or try?  The crash doesn't come after a certain
sequence of events but instead appears to be, dare i say it, random.  I've
commented code out and googled my butt off but i haven't found any one
thing that seems to cause the problem.

TL;DR - What are some common gotchas that can lead to a crash even in a
simple PySide application.

Thanks,
Nathan Warmerdam