[PySide] Simple app using a timer to update crahes when maximized

Paul O. Seidon p.oseidon at datec.at
Mon Apr 6 19:33:39 CEST 2015

Dear PySiders,

being a wxPython user for years I decided to have a look at Qt using PySide.
A simple to-do manager containing to-dos that change their priority over
time (depending on the distance of now to the due date) should be suited to
get my feet wet.

It uses QTableView, QSortFilterProxyModel and QAbstractTableModel.

The QAbstractTableModel (actually the subclass) features a QTimer to
recalculate the priorities of the to-dos. Here I do

    def _on_Qt_TIMEOUT_timer_( self):
        self.layoutChanged.emit()
        return

to tell the view to redisplay the data.

Everything works fine so far, but when I minimize, maximize, minimize,
maximize, ... the GUI, then suddenly the app crashes upon maximizing the
GUI. It does not so, if I don't start the QTimer. And, the smaller the timer
interval the sooner it crashes.

I guess there happens something in the QTableView when the GUI is max'ed
that interferes with the slot called by self.layoutChanged.emit().

I'm on Arch Linux, Python 2.7.9.

Any idea?

Kind regards
Paul