[PySide] PySide 2.0.0.dev0 build issue

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 4 18:30:00 CEST 2015

On 9/3/2015 10:38 PM, Christian Tismer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> but you know that this is not ready for use, yet?

Yes, I believe that is the conclusion I've come to.  ;)

> Don't use install, use
>
>     python setup.py develop --ignore-git --qmake=...

I tried that instead (used "develop" instead of "build") and still encountered
the same link errors.  I can't use "--git-ignore" because the sub-projects
will not be populated and there's nothing to build.

The command lines I've attempted in the pyside-setup2/ folder are:

  * python setup.py build --qmake=Q:\Qt\5.4.2\64_dll\bin\qmake.exe
    --openssl=E:\openssl_64_dll\bin --jom --jobs=4
  * python setup.py build --qmake=Q:\Qt\5.4.2\64_dll\bin\qmake.exe
    --openssl=E:\openssl_64_dll\bin
  * python setup.py build
    --qmake=C:\Qt\Qt5.4.2\5.4\msvc2013_64_opengl\bin\qmake.exe
    --openssl=E:\openssl_64_dll\bin
  * python setup.py build --qmake=C:\Qt\Qt5.5.0\5.5\msvc2013_64\bin\qmake.exe
    --openssl=E:\openssl_64_dll\bin
  * python setup.py develop --qmake=Q:\Qt\5.4.2\64_dll\bin\qmake.exe
    --openssl=E:\openssl_64_dll\bin

The Qt in the Q:\Qt\5.4.2\ folder referenced above is our own build of that
version.  Those in the C:\Qt\ folder are the pre-built binaries provided for
download.  In all cases, I get a link error of some kind (the 5.4.2 version
has one link error, the 5.5.0 version generates a different link error).

> The problems that you have are known, and right now I have the following
> work-arounds:
>
> 1. Yom problem:

Do you actually mean "jom" here?

> 2. Link problem:
>
> This is a known problem that was also existent on Pyside 1.2.2/Qt4.8.
> For some reason, the Pyside devs decided in 2010 to add the option
> "/Zc:wchar_t-". On windows, that means that you have to build your own Qt5,
> which takes many hours.

I am in charge of doing this for my team, so it's not an issue for me.  I've
got an environment set up for building Qt that's largely automated.  In fact,
as I stated earlier, one of the Qt versions against which I am attempting to
build was actually built by me.  Are you saying that removing that compiler
switch (if I can figure out how) addresses the link error?

> For the moment, you can switch to the branch "qt5-win-fix" and build
> again.

Ah, ok.  I've already reported my failures and opinions of the state of PySide
v2 to the team, but I will try this branch and see if I can get any further.

Thank you very much for the response, Chris.