[PySide] Is there a tutorial on good debugging techniques for PySide?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 22:54:22 CET 2016

Hi,

I have two applications created using PySide. Both have many of the
same widgets (menus and side bars) with a single QGroupBox that is
different between the two. So, after refactoring, there is now a lot
of shared code between the two that has been extracted into its own
module.  Sadly, I'm in a rare situation of not being able to share the
code at this point.

Now, one program still runs fine.  The other does not. It just hangs,
never displaying the UI, and ignoring keyboard interrupts in the
console... unless I insert pdb.set_trace() and try to trace the error
down.  Calling set_trace() and typing "c" at the pdb prompt causes the
second program to work just fine.  Replacing the set_trace() with
either sleep() or input() brought back the hanging behavior.

In summary:

ui = UI(initValues)
ui.show()

fails, but:

ui.UI(initValues)
pdb.set_trace()      # or ipdb.set_trace()
ui.show()

works (after typing "c" at the interactive pdb prompt).

Any suggestions?  Thanks!