[PySide] QStandardItemModel vs QAbstractItemModel

Frank Rueter | OHUfx frank at ohufx.com
Sun Jan 10 21:48:06 CET 2016

Hi,

I am building a spreadsheet widget for custom data and will need many
custom editors and item delegates.
The amount of items will potentially be in the 100,000s and a lot of
filtering will be going on.

I started using the QStandardItemModel and so far things are working
fine, but I haven't implemented the delegates or editors yet, and I will
also have to override the data()/setData().

I'm wondering if I should switch to using the QAbstractItemModel before
proceeding but can't make up my mind.
I am using some of the QStandardItemModel's method's, such as clear()
and item() and setItem(), but I guess those are easy to re-implement.

The docs say that one should consider using QAbstractItemModel for
efficiency and flexibility, but I am struggling to make an educated
decision because I haven't used model/views often enough yet to know
about all the pros and cons.

Any advice on how to make that decision would be much appreciated. I'd
hate to finish writing the code only to find out that it's too slow for
large data sets, and then re-jig everything to use the QAbstractItemModel.

Thanks,
frank

--
ohufxLogo 50x50 <http://www.ohufx.com> 	*vfx compositing