[PySide] QPixmap memory leak

Hannu Tatein htatein123 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:57:38 CET 2016

Hi Pyside Experts,

I have written a GUI/Image viewer using Pyside. It works perfectly for my
purpose except that as I browse through the images, the memory consumption
of computer increases.

The code snippet that is responsible for the memory leak is this:

 self.pixmap = QtGui.QPixmap(str(self.nb) + "_" + str(self.fig_type) +
".jpeg")

self.pixmap = self.pixmap.scaled(1000, 4000,
                                         QtCore.Qt.KeepAspectRatio,
                                         mode=QtCore.Qt.
                                         SmoothTransformation)

self.lbl.setPixmap(self.pixmap)
 if not self.added_lbl:
     self.layoutImW.addWidget(self.lbl)
     self.added_lbl = True
 self.lbl.setGeometry(500, 500, self.pixmap.width(),
                                 self.pixmap.height())

Actually it is the first statement of the code snippet that is the root of
all the evil. If instead of the variables : 'self.nb' and 'self.fig_type',
I try to load the same image, I don't face the problem.

Is there any way to avoid the memory leak? I tried QtGui.QPixmap.deref()
before the first image, it does seem to work.

If any part of the code is not clear, please let me know and I will get
back to you immediately.

Thanks you very much,
Hannu