[PySide] trouble with special characters in widget.setToolTip()

Dan Milburn milburn at thefoundry.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 09:52:54 CET 2016

Hi,

It's not anything to do with the font.

Qt uses 16-bit unicode strings internally.  If you give a str to a PySide
function, it will need to decode it, and by default it will probably treat
it as ASCII.  If you want Qt to assume 8-bit strings are UTF-8 encoded, you
can use the following:

from PySide.QtCore import QTextCodec

QTextCodec.setCodecForCStrings(QTextCodec.codecForName("UTF-8"))

However it would be better practice to pass it unicode strings if you can.

Dan

On 3 March 2016 at 00:45, Frank Rueter | OHUfx <frank at ohufx.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys.
>
> >>That would imply that your tooltip uses a different default font.
> Aha, that makes perfect sense, thank you!
> I'm currently on OSX using Wing as my IDE. When I ran this code inside a
> host application, it worked fine (because it changes the default font).
> I will verify that though before moving on. Text encoding/decoding always
> confuses me (I hardly have to deal with it, so there is no routine) and I
> want to get it right this time.
>
> Cheers,
> frank
>

> On 03/03/2016 06:26 AM, Tim Roberts wrote:
>
> Sebastian Elsner | RISE wrote:
>
> Unicode is tricky, it bites me every time. This works:
>

> It's not that hard.  There are two possibilities.  Either the setTool
> function does not accept Unicode strings, or the default tool tip font does
> not include those extended characters.
>

> Please note, the .py file actually has to be saved/encoded as utf-8. You
> need to do this via your editor's save/convert function.
>

> Actually, it doesn't.  There are no characters in his file beyond the base
> ASCII set, except for the one character in a comment, so the file coding is
> irrelevant.  If this worked for you, then his original code would have
> worked for you also.  That would imply that your tooltip uses a different
> default font.  No one here has mentioned what operating systems they are
> using; that makes a difference.
>
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Dan Milburn
Software Engineer - Nuke
The Foundry
5 Golden Square
London
W1F 9HT
Tel: +44(0) 20 7479 4350 •   Fax: +44 (0)20 7434 2526 •  Web:
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk

The Foundry Visionmongers Ltd.
Registered in England and Wales No: 4642027