[PySide] When Slots and When Subclass?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri Mar 18 22:54:39 CET 2016

* Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> [2016-03-18 14:47:20 -0700]:
> Is there some document that can help me understand what's likely to be
> signalled and what requires subclassing?  Some general rule you use in
> practice?

In general, things you'd control via subclassing are much more
low-level (like Qt's whole event system), and signals are much more
high-level.

For example, with a QLineEdit, you could override keyPressEvent to get
low-level keypresses - or use the returnPressed signal, which works
with enter/return, and only emits when the input is valid if a
validator is set.

But there are certainly some exceptions (usually things which require
subclassing which IMHO would be much nicer as a signal).

Florian