[PySide] PySide2 installed but not working

Spencer Parkin spencertparkin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:58:42 CEST 2016

I actually spent a full day trying to pip install pyside1 with no luck.
The pip install of pyside actually goes through a build process requiring
cmake and qmake as dependencies, and maybe openssl (I can't remember).  You
need msvc compiler tools too, I think.  cmake said it couldn't find
"QtCore" in a directory that, if you go and look, has QtCore4.lib, etc.,
inside of it, so cmake must be crazy.  There were other errors that I can't
remember...Qt-specific cmake-macros that it complained weren't defined.
Maybe I'm crazy.

Then I spent a half day trying to get pyside2 to work.  I finally got it
compiled and "installed", but then the examples didn't work.  E.g., QWidget
couldn't be found inside of QtGui, which seems crazy.  Not sure what went
wrong there.

One very difficult thing about building PySide2 is that the install (which
is essentially a build process) is not incremental!  So if you (and I did
this) mistype a command line arg, such as "--openssl=blah/blah", you won't
know it until an hour later.  So you fix it, then have to wait another hour
to see if the fixed worked.

Sorry, I don't mean to diss anything or anybody.  I had a very difficult
time.  I'm sure PyQt is awesome as is Qt once you finally have a working
installation of them.  I'm a big fan of wx, personally, since I've used it
for so long and its architecture very straight-forward.  I'm using Qt
because a coworker is and I'm helping him on the project.

For the sake of idiot users such as myself, an installer for PyQt would be
a good idea.  (And by that I mean something that doesn't require
configuration and compilation and linking.)

Sorry, this went too long.