[PySide] [pyside-dev] Re: Bringing pyside back to Qt Project

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at oss.schwarz.eu
Mon Feb 20 15:03:24 CET 2017

Am 20.02.2017 um 14:48 schrieb Kevin Cole:
> As someone who does not know C++, and is still struggling a lot with
> PySide, my big concern is documentation: The current documentation
> often leaves me with quite a few questions, as it seems often
> auto-generated from the C++ documentation.
>
> So, my hope is that whatever is evolving is evolving with its own
> 'native" documentation.

Even though I don't claim any authority on pyside I think that is unlikely to
happen: The goal of PySide (and other bindings like PyQT/PyGobject+GTK) is to
expose pretty much the native API just in a different language with only very
little pythonic sugar.

The upside is that you can use a lot of QT documentation regarding C++ almost
verbatim and if you look for answers always also look for C++ questions.

While I understand this might be intimidating I found that given a
sufficiently complex PySide/QT application I needed to understand QTs way of
working anyway (sometimes by looking at QT's source code).

Or put differently: Even in Python a serious QT application requires a
significant amount of work so learning a bit of C++ syntax is just a minor
addition in terms of time required.