[PySide] Weekly update 17.05.2018

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Tue May 22 13:56:32 CEST 2018

Hey all,

just a brief summary of the status of the project:

We finally have a logo for the project:
http://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qtforpython/_static/pysidelogo.png
and it will be used as our official image.

The changes we were reporting regarding heap types
and stable ABI are on a review phase, and hopefully
will be available for the TP.

There has been a few new issues related to our CI,
but there are a few changes coming that will allow
Qt for Python to be more independent from the general
configurations, allowing us to not be affected by most of
the configuration issues that the CI had.

A preliminary set of wheels for Windows 32bit was generated,
but we are still on a testing phase.

Many missing bindings were generated:
https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_for_Python_Missing_Bindings
and many more are in progress.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding Strings, Bytes, Unicode,
ByteArray and their manipulation/representation, so we are looking into this
to provide a solution that can fit the Qt and Python APIs.

The documentation is being constantly updated,
if you find any error or have any suggestion, please let us know.

We included a dynamic detection of Clang on Linux
to automatically pick up the system's installation
and use it to build PySide2.

The wheel size is also our priority, and currently we have
manage to decrease their size.

A couple of build fixes and new options were done.

Stay tuned to https://blog.qt.io a couple blog post will be
published soon!

We really would like to hear back from you,
so please don't hesitate to tell us if you are expecting
tutorials on certain topics, or maybe new subjects for future blog post
after the technical preview.
Use this mailing list or any other channel to discuss this matter
with us: https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_for_Python#Community

See ya!

-----
Cristián Maureira-Fredes