[PySide] PySide2 + multiprocessing + requests = crash?

Israel Brewster ijbrewster at alaska.edu
Tue Dec 17 20:06:06 CET 2019

> On Dec 17, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> QApplication has to be on the main thread.
> So I would guess (without seeing the crash) that yes, it's bad form.

It *is* on the main thread. Of a child process, true, but the main thread of that process. Multiprocessing, not multithreading. Presumably that’s why it generally works - as long as I don’t try to make a web request :-)

> Generally when I want to do something like ehat you are doing, I set a singlshot timer to fire (interval: 0) start the event loop (app.exec() or app.exec_() in python) then the event loop wth execute the timer code.

No event loop here. I’m just creating QWidgets, setting contents, and using .grab() to save the contents as an image, after which the widgets are discarded. The only reason I have a QApplication at all is that you can’t create QWidgets without one.

There is no user interaction, no displayed GUI at any point. In fact, I’m initializing QApplication with a platform of offscreen. I just want to work with multiple QWidgets simultaneously to generate multiple images in parallel - thus the need for multiprocessing.