[PySide] Python 2 support

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Tue May 21 10:23:34 CEST 2019

Hello Florian,

Based on Qt traditions, even if something
is deprecated we tend to provide support for a little bit
longer.

So far we haven't discussed how long we will support Python 2.7,
but since last year we have been encouraging people to use Python 3.5+
directly.

We will make an announcement as soon as it's decided how long we will
support it.

Cheers!

On 5/20/19 8:48 AM, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wondered because of the other thread[1]: Are there any plans to drop
> support for Python 2 at the beginning of 2020, when Python itself 2 is EOL
> upstream[2]?
>
> Many other projects have pledged[3] to do so, maybe PySide2 should do the same?
>
> If there are customers relying on Python 2 support still after that, maybe that
> should be commercial-only or something? Seeing that they'd have to pay someone
> for support on Python itself anyways...
>
> Florian
>
> [1] https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/pyside/2019-May/002737.html
> [2] https://pythonclock.org/