[PySide] Confused by PySide2 5.14.x

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 22:45:01 CEST 2020

Qt on Fedora Rawhide has been updated to 5.14.2. I'm working on updating
PySide2 to 5.14.2.

I see from this commit[1] that now uic and rcc can produce python output
that the programs in PySide2 are no longer needed, however, I'm unclear on
the implementation.

Form the description it appears PySide should be installing some sort of
wrapper but instead seems to be grabbing the uic and rcc tools installed by
qt4-qtbase-devel (renamed to append -qt5 on Fedora) and reinstalling them,
resulting in the following error while building PySide2 for Fedora:

    Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
   /usr/bin/rcc-qt5
   /usr/bin/uic-qt5

The offending code seems to be:

set(TOOLS_PATH "${_qt5Core_install_prefix}/bin")
set(UIC_PATH "${TOOLS_PATH}/uic-qt5${EXE_EXT}")
set(RCC_PATH "${TOOLS_PATH}/rcc-qt5${EXE_EXT}")
if (APPLE)
    set(DESIGNER_PATH "${TOOLS_PATH}/Designer.app")
else()
    set(DESIGNER_PATH "${TOOLS_PATH}/designer${EXE_EXT}")
endif()

install(FILES "${UIC_PATH}"
        DESTINATION bin
        PERMISSIONS
        OWNER_EXECUTE OWNER_WRITE OWNER_READ
        GROUP_EXECUTE GROUP_READ
        WORLD_EXECUTE WORLD_READ)

install(FILES "${RCC_PATH}"
        DESTINATION bin
        PERMISSIONS
        OWNER_EXECUTE OWNER_WRITE OWNER_READ
        GROUP_EXECUTE GROUP_READ
        WORLD_EXECUTE WORLD_READ)
---
in sources/pyside2-tools/CMakeLists.txt

Why would you find the system installed version of a binary and then turn
around and try to install them again?

Thanks,
Richard

[1] https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/pyside/pyside-tools/+/274708