[PySide] Is del in python completely equivalent to delete in c for Qt objects?

Israel Brewster ijbrewster at alaska.edu
Thu Feb 6 01:23:28 CET 2020

In C++ Qt code, if I do something like the following:

QMainWindow *win=new QMainWindow()
<add other objects to win/do stuff with it>
delete win

The QMainWindow, as well as all of its children will be deleted, with the latter half of that statement being the important part. Of course, this child deletion is a Qt thing and not a C thing, as typically calling delete only deletes the thing it was called on. As such, I was wanting to confirm that, when using python/PySide2, calling del on a Qt object would trigger the same child deletion algorithm that delete does in C.
---
Israel Brewster
Software Engineer
Alaska Volcano Observatory