[PySide] "Could not retrieve fonts from the server"

Israel Brewster ijbrewster at alaska.edu
Fri Feb 7 20:48:00 CET 2020

Under certain situations, I will receive the following error from my PySide2 application:

2020-02-07 10:19:50.577 Python[59660:37972433] Could not retrieve fonts from the server! Registering system fonts locally…

After which the application will crash with a SIGABRT (stack trace attached). It would appear it is crashing somewhere in the setHtml() function of a QGraphicsTextItem, but I can’t seem to find this error in the source code (either Qt itself or PySide2). Where might this error be coming from?

---
Israel Brewster
Software Engineer
Alaska Volcano Observatory