[PySide] Important: 5.15.0 wheels (Windows 64bit) replaced

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Mon Jun 15 10:51:07 CEST 2020

Hello everyone!,

We just updated the Windows (64bit) wheels on PyPi
due to a packaging problem.

Some users started to report a problem when trying
 > import PySide2

That looked like this:
 > PySide2/__init__.py: Unable to import shiboken2 from [snip]
 >     from .shiboken2 import *
 > ImportError: DLL load failed while importing shiboken2: The specified
 > module could not be found.

It took us some time to check this,
because not everyone could reproduce, until finally
we figure out that it was due to a problematic DLL.

The issue is that the Qt CI was updated for 5.15.0
and we started to use MSVC 2019, hence we shipped
those DDLs (like vcruntime140.dll).

You can find the fixes for the situation in the following
patches:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/pyside/pyside-setup/+/303785
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/pyside/pyside-setup/+/303914

Why it worked for some people?
Because having a 'newer' version of MSVC installed in your system
provided the missing DLL, so people with 2019 compatible redistributable
binaries, didn't see the issue.

Since this problem was affecting only Windows,
we decided to update only those wheels, that now contain a "_1"
in the name, so people will be able to install 5.15.0
and get the updated version.

If you already have 5.15.0 installed,
you will need to reinstall:
 > pip uninstall PySide2 # will uninstall 5.15.0
 > pip install PySide2 # will install 5.15.0_1

Thanks to all the people that helped us to figure out
the problem, and we invite you to join the different
platforms we have to be in touch with the community:
https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_for_Python#Community

Have a nice week!
Cheers

--