[PySide] Sender Method Difference

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Fri Mar 27 16:15:52 CET 2020

Hello,

On 3/27/20 3:08 PM, Ed Lipson wrote:
> Looking at
> https://wiki.qt.io/Differences_Between_PySide_and_PyQt#sender.28.29_method_returns_None_when_used_within_a_partial_or_a_lambda
(snip)
> There is a separate thread on StackExchange about this where the lambda
> is "lambda state, bname='a':func(bname)" but the state causes a Type
> error because state is missing.
> As stated in the Wiki, they work in PyQT

You can find the discussion we had on the same
topic here: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/PYSIDE-909

In a nutshell,
the signals are selected by the arguments,
the only variation of clicked is clicked(bool),
so when you pass an argument it assumed is that one
and it fails to convert your str to bool.
The same with more than 1 argument, it will fail
to connect to the signal.

If you really need something like a clicked(str)
signal, I recommend you create your own personalized
signal.

If you still believe that behaviour should
be accepted, please open a Suggestion in our JIRA system.

Cheers

--
Dr. Cristian Maureira-Fredes
R&D Manager