[PySide] python setup.py build fails with error: ‘class Shiboken::GilState’ has no member named ‘abandon’

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Tue Sep 8 19:42:59 CEST 2020

Hello,

On 9/8/20 3:51 PM, Filippo Rusconi via PySide wrote:
> Greetings, Fellow Developers,
>
> new to this list, and new to the PySide2 world, I hope I am not erring by
> sending this mail.
>
> I am willing to explore the Qt for Python universe, and for that I am
> following
> the instructions located at
> https://doc.qt.io/qtforpython/gettingstarted-linux.html
>
> I could perform all the steps up to the build of PySide2, with the
> following
> command line:
>
> python setup.py build --qmake=/usr/lib/qt5/bin/qmake --build-tests
> --ignore-git
>
> The build configures fine and then the build stops with the following
> error:
> [snip]

Could you please share the whole output log?
it would be really nice if you could share a pastebin link
or a similar service, since usually you can see a summary of the
configuration before the building starts at the beginning.

> I do not yet know what GIL is. All I can say is that I had done:

It's the Global Interpreter Lock from Python,
in simple words, what controls how python code executes,
https://docs.python.org/3/glossary.html#term-global-interpreter-lock

Since PySide uses a C++-based library underneath,
we need to control the interaction with that lock,
acquiring it, and locking it, that's why there is some interaction
withing the binding generator tool, Shiboken.

> git clone --recursive https://code.qt.io/pyside/pyside-setup
> cd pyside-setup
> git checkout 5.14
>
> I checked out 5.14 because that is the version I have in my Debian box:
> $ dpkg -l "qtbase5*"
> ||/ Name                      Version       Architecture Description
> +++-=========================-=============-============-===================================
>
> ii  qtbase5-dev:amd64         5.14.2+dfsg-6 amd64        Qt 5 base
> development files

That sounds correct,
since 5.14 was compiling and it's being currently used by many people,
although, we are currently on 5.15, but I guess you will get it
eventually ;)

> Any good soul would explain that error to me and hopefully allow me go
> forward ?

I'd say it might be due to Python incompatibility,
but it seems you are using 3.8, but anyways,
I would like to see the full log (until it fails).

> Most sincerely,
>
> Filippo

Cheers

--