[PySide] QtConcurrent, run method alternative

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Wed May 25 16:39:10 CEST 2022

On 5/25/22 15:58, Rute Mendes wrote:
> Anyway, now I know why there're no examples for PySide, for future reference
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32378719/qtconcurrent-in-pyside-pyqt
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32378719/qtconcurrent-in-pyside-pyqt>
>
> Thanks.
> Rute
>
> A segunda, 23/05/2022, 13:20, Rute Mendes <rutepfmendes at gmail.com
> <mailto:rutepfmendes at gmail.com>> escreveu:
>
>     Hi!
>
>     I've installed PySide6 but looking at docs there's no run method
>     implementation for QtConcurrent. What are the alternatives according
>     PySide availability, QtConcurrent, QFutureBaseInterface? ( and I
>     can't find examples only for PySide ).
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Rute

Hello Rute,

Due to the same reason you see there, that it's a namespace
we have been exploring how we could still expose at least a version
of the many overloads of functions like mappedReduced.

Another challenge, is that most of the QtConcurrent is heavily templated
what makes it a bit more tricky to expose to Python.

Out of curiosity,
have you tried to use Python-only options to achieve your goal?
not that I'm challenging the existence of QtConcurrent,
but I would like to understand the usage of the module over
some other options like:

threading, multiprocessing, concurrent.futures, etc
https://docs.python.org/3/library/concurrency.html

If having a Qt-API to handle concurrency is your motivation,
is a valid motivation IMHO :) or if QtConcurrent
is solving a problem that Python haven't solve yet
could be nice to know as well.

Cheers

--
Dr. Cristian Maureira-Fredes